A police officer was shot and wounded and the suspect killed in a shooting incident in Maraval last night.
Members of the Western Division Task Force were conducting an exercise at Tancabean Trace, Maraval, when they were fired upon by the occupant of a house. In the process, PC Frith of the Western Division Task Force, was shot and wounded. Police officers returned fire which resulted in the suspect, Nathan Emmanuel Paul, alias “Plaits”, 22, being wounded.
Both PC Frith and Paul were taken to hospital for treatment. Paul, who lived at Faustin Trace, Maraval, was pronounced dead on arrival, while PC Frith is reported to be in a stable condition. A firearm was recovered at the scene of the shooting.
Investigations are continuing.
Paul had been charged with several offences and was out on bail.
• Possession of a firearm and ammunition on June 20th, 2020
• Attempted murder, possession of a firearm and ammunition, and possession of a firearm and ammunition to endanger life, on April 7th, 2020.
Paul was a suspect in several reports:
• Robbery with violence at KFC, Maraval, on April 8th, 2021
• Robbery with aggravation at Bowen Street, Maraval, on February 27th, 2021
• Robbery with Violence at the Retirees Society Club, Maraval, on February 20, 2021
• Assault with intent to rob Fei Wong Chinese Restaurant, Maraval, on March 19th, 2021
• Arson in May 2020 at Maraval.