As the country braces for inclement weather today following a tropical storm warning the Association of Trinidad and Tobago Insurance Companies (ATTIC) has given this advice to citizens:
▪ Enquire from your insurer whether you are covered for flood damage. It is also advisable that you insure both your property and its contents.
▪ Policyholders must also update their Insurance policies frequently so that the insured values are based on current replacement values of assets insured.
▪ Contact your Insurance Company, agent or broker and immediately notify them of any potential claims.
▪ Present bills, photographs or some proof of ownership of lost items to support your claim, if possible.
▪ If your building or vehicle has been damaged, submit estimates for repairs along with a claim form.
▪ Expect to hear from an Insurance Adjuster who will visit the location where the loss occurred to verify the claim.
▪ During the time of hurricanes or weather alerts, insurers may temporarily amend their policies.
The public is encouraged to pay close attention to the information being issued by the Meteorological office of Trinidad and Tobago and the Office of Disaster Preparedness and Management (ODPM).