Police are investigating the circumstances surrounding the death of a three-year-old girl, who died on Monday, days after she was found sitting in a pot of boiling water.
The infant, police said, suffered severe burns about the body and was being treated in the intensive care unit of the San Fernando General hospital.
Police said the child, Shazade Simon, was visiting a relative’s vending stall at Morne Roche, Williamsville, where he was boiling lentil peas on a firecracker last Wednesday.
Little Shazade was with her mother, 23-year-old Andelle Lazar.
The report stated that the child was left in the company of her grandfather, Wendell Lazar, while her mother went to a washroom at the back of the stall at around 4.15pm.
When she returned, police said, Lazar observed her daughter sitting in the pot of boiling water.
The child was removed and placed in a bucket of water and then taken to hospital.
Shazade suffered second degree burns to her stomach and lower parts of the body.
The little girl died at around 1.30pm on Monday.
Officers attached to the Child Protection Unit are investigating.