More than 20 years after he was said to have molested some 30 boys at the St Dominic Children’s Home in Belmont, the 51-year old alleged abuser was on Friday arrested for the crimes.
According to reports, the suspect was arrested at the St Ann’s Mental Hospital where he works.
Police went to the Port-of-Spain General Hospital last week in search of the man but were told he was on vacation. He returned to work this week but was subsequently transferred to the St Ann’s Hospital.
This is the first arrest arising out of the 1997 Robert Sabga-led task force report, which reviewed the operations of several children’s home and institutions throughout the country and which highlighted many sexual abuse allegations.