The Minister of Health, Terrence Deyalsingh, the Minister of Education, Dr. Nyan Gadsby-Dolly, and senior representatives from both Ministries to further discussions the reopening of schools in the face of the national response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The meeting took place today Thursday 21st January, 2021, and the centre of the discussion was the proposal submitted by the Ministry of Education to guide the re-opening of schools.
Both Ministries highlighted key elements of the proposal which required additional attention.
It was later decided that a smaller working group of senior technical officers from both Ministries would continue to collaborate on the details of the plan for the re-opening of schools.
Dr Avery Hinds, Technical Director, Epidemiology Division at the Ministry of Health, provided an update on COVID-19 status for Trinidad and Tobago, which helped to provide a context for the meeting.
– Minister of Health, the Honourable Terrence Deyalsingh
– Minister of Education, Dr. the Honourable Nyan Gadsby-Dolly
– Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Health, Mr. Asif Ali
– Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Education, Mrs. Lenor Baptiste-Simmons
– Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Roshan Parasram
– Chief Education Officer (Acting), Mrs. Lisa Henry-David
– Technical Director Epidemiology Division, Ministry of Health, Dr. Avery Hinds
– Senior Representatives from Divisions within the Ministry of Education:
o Curriculum Planning and Development
o Early Childhood Care and Education
o School Supervision
o Student Support Services