These are some of the Budget Debate high points presented by the Opposition in parliament Friday.
- Call for more focus on food security.
- Make agriculture more attractive to young people.
- Complete outstanding wage negotiations.
- Provide more incentives for farmers.
- Take steps to reduce the food import bill.
- Developed access roads for agriculture.
- Tackle praedial larceny.
The proposals were put forward during the Budget Response by Political Leader of the United National Congress, Kamla Persad Bissessar, in the House of Representatives Friday afternoon.
Other recommendations suggested include rebranding the Highway Patrol Unit, reactivating the community comfort patrols, increase and maintain CCTV cameras in Trinidad and Tobago and ensuring proper support for the Trans National Organised Crime Unit.
An appeal was also made for improved labour legislation and the completion of outstanding collective agreement.
Ideas were also presented which touched on culture, health care for children, infrastructure, education, culture, tourism, youth unemployment, recreation, scholarships, prison rehabilitation, special needs citizens and energy prices.