FOLLOWING the confrontation last Friday between gunmen and a safety officer at the Belmont Secondary School last week, frightened teachers have been advised to institute and follow the refusal to work.
This is according to TTUTA President Martin Lum Kin.
He told News Power Now this morning that an industrial officer visited teachers at the school early yesterday giving guidance on the procedure and how to file the refusal to work.
He stated that teachers at that school were working under less than acceptable conditions for a long time and the incident was serious enough to warrant changes.
He disclosed that as such teachers have now taken a definitive stand on protecting their personal safety at the learning institution.
Asked whether or not any arrangements were in place for students in the interim, Mr Lum Kin stated that parents of students had already decided to keep their children away from the school.
The school’s Parent Teachers Association (PTA) has threatened to withhold students from classes, until a damaged perimeter fence at the back of the school is repaired.
Members of the PTA staged a placard protest outside the school compound on Monday.
Lum Kin said that there needed to be an upgrade in the number of safety and security officers at schools.
He said that while he understood that such upgrades came with an increase in spending for the education Ministry, the necessity for the upgrades overshadowed financial concerns.