Aromatherapy spray killed two people in Georgia

Home*Cover Story*News

Aromatherapy spray killed two people in Georgia

A lavender and chamomile-scented aromatherapy spray killed five people back in 2021.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said on Friday that a contaminated batch with a deadly bacteria killed two people in 2021 and also killed one of the victim’s pet raccoon.

In October 2021, investigators with the CDC discovered the bacteria Burkholderia pseudomallei in the lavender and chamomile scent of Better Homes & Gardens Essential Oil Infused Aromatherapy Room Spray With Gemstones, which had been imported from India and sold at 55 Walmart stores.

The bacteria causes a rare illness called melioidosis, which causes symptoms that can be confused with a flu or a cold and is treatable with certain intravenous antibiotics if caught early.

“The spray was linked to a multistate outbreak that killed a 5-year-old boy in Georgia and a 53-year-old woman in Kansas.”

“The aromatherapy spray was also the source of the illness of a 53-year-old man in Minnesota and a 4-year-old girl in Texas.”