Following large crowds at two major events on Thursday and Friday night and possible breaches of the Public Health Regulations, Health Minister Terrence Deyalsingh has stated that the rules concerning safe zones are always under review.
He was responding to a question about if the Ministry of Health is concerned about breaches of the health regulations at these carnival events.
During Saturday’s media briefing, Deyalsingh was asked about his thoughts on footage from social media showcasing persons without masks and lack of social distancing at the Vibes with Voicey event on Thursday night and Sekon Sta’s Festival Friday, both of which were held at the Queen’s Park Savannah.
Deyalsingh said: “The operation of safe zones and the conditions to be applied are clearly listed in the Public Health Regulations about masking except if you are eating or drinking capacity at 50 per cent. The actual responsibility for the operation of safe zones lies with the owner/operator who is carrying on the event. The responsibility for the administration of the Public Health Regulations lies with the T&T Police Service (T&TPS),”
He said, “Yes, we constantly review everything under the remit of the Ministry of Health, whether it is the safe zone policy, our hospitalisation numbers, so it is a constant recalibration to look at all the data available. We make decisions. Like last week, we made decisions to allow the under 12s who are unvaccinated to go back to the safe zones. So there is a constant review.”