Today’s inauguration of President-elect Joe Biden will be like no other.
The U.S. Washington’s Capitol area will be closed to the public, as will the National Mall. There will be no cheering crowds lining the Washington streets for a parade, and the traditional balls celebrating a new administration have been canceled.However, despite the COVID-19 pandemic and the recent attack on the Capitol building, there will be a change of power in the United States government.
- Invocation – Father Leo J. O’Donovan, a former Georgetown University president, will give the invocation.
- Pledge of Allegiance – Andrea Hall, a firefighter from Georgia, will give the pledge.
- National anthem – Lady Gaga will sing the national anthem.
- Poetry reading – Amanda Gorman, the first national youth poet laureate, will give a reading.
- Musical performance – Jennifer Lopez will sing.
8:30 p.m. – Actor Tom Hanks will host a show featuring remarks by Biden and Harris, and performances by Demi Lovato, Justin Timberlake, John Legend, Bruce Springsteen, Jon Bon Jovi, Kerry Washington, Ant Clemons and others.