Bar operators not withdrawing case against government despite closing time of 10pm

Bar operators not withdrawing case against government despite closing time of 10pm

The Barkeepers and Operators Association of Trinidad and Tobago (BOATT) says it will not be withdrawing its legal case against the government, despite the announcement by the Health Minister on Saturday that bars can now open until 10pm.

The interim president of BOATT, Teron Mohan said while he was pleased with that particular decision, there’s still a long way to go.

He said they are limited to 25 persons, “so for those of us operating larger bars, it still poses a problem.”

Senior Counsel Anand Ramlogan said that even though this part of the claim had been achieved, it did not mean other aspects of the case would be withdrawn.

BOATT is seeking compensation and several declarations, including that the decision by the minister to reduce the opening hours of bars was illegal and irrational. They are also challenging Regulation 3 (2) of the public health coronavirus ordinance as being of no legal effect and against their rights.

In addition to that, they are seeking to obtain damages, including vindicatory damages, for breach of their constitutional rights, as well as their legal costs in bringing the court action.

The matter comes up for hearing on Monday afternoon.

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 0
DISQUS: 0