The cost of damage is yet to be determined following a fire at the rear of the Military Museum, Chaguaramas, on Saturday, which left six people homeless .
Chief Fire Officer Arnold Bristo said, the fire started around 1:12pm and that “Initial reports received says that the fire was on the adjacent building where some hot works were being carried out by contractors. While they were doing that work some of the sparks ignited the combustible material at the side of the wall which may have caused the fire. But that is subject to confirmation by the investigators.”
Officers from Chaguaramas, Wrightson Road and Four Roads fire stations responded and the fire was contained in the building, which houses historical items in storage and did not spread into the museum.
Bristo said, “No injuries were reported however we had six people displaced. It was a big fire.”
Thankfully, according to a message on the museum’s Facebook page, “The main museum building and artifacts are safe.
The fire destroyed the structure to rear of the display building. Further updates will be posted. Thank you all for your concern and well wishes.”