Xenophobic: Governor Condemns Attack on South African Businesses

Xenophobic: Governor Condemns Attack on South African Businesses

Governor of Lagos State, Babajide Sanwo-Olu has completely condemned the attack on some businesses owned by South Africans in Lagos and some other states in Nigeria in retaliation to the xenophobic attacks on Nigerians in South Africa.

Sanwo-Olu made a brief statement on the issue at the launch of the Lagos State Employment Trust Fund (LSETF) Women Fund and Presentation of Cheques at LTV Blueroof, Ikeja on Wednesday.

He said the “attack in Lagos does not reflect or determines who we are or stand for as Lagosians and Nigerian”.

The governor vowed to deal with troublemakers exploiting the ongoing xenophobic attacks on foreign nationals in South Africa to foment trouble in the state.

He issued a stern warning to people engaging in reprisals against innocent people in Lagos in response to events in South Africa, saying he would not condone violence of any form on innocent residents and businesses in the State by any person or group.

Sanwo-Olu also advised parents to warn their children against taking to violence, stressing that the full wrath of the law would be brought on anyone caught in reprisal against peace-loving foreigners and businesses in the state.

He said, “We have watched the disturbing videos of attacks and vandalism against Nigerian nationals and their businesses in South Africa. This precipitated strong reactions by some Nigerians who chose to vent their anger on investments of South Africans in Lagos.

“As a Government, we condemn the violence visited on innocent people by the hoodlums who attacked Shoprite and other business interests owned by South Africans in Lagos. We cannot attempt to find a solution to a criminality by committing criminality. This is not part of our values as Nigerians.

“Therefore, I wish to state categorically that Lagos will remain safe for all Nigerian citizens and law-abiding foreign nationals who are here for business.

“We will not condone any act that can lead to breakdown of law and order,” Sanwo-Olu said.

He implored all residents to go about their lawful businesses without any fear, assuring that Lagos will remain open to local and foreign investments.

Sanwo-Olu called for calm, pointing out that the Federal Government had been responding to xenophobic violence in South Africa at the diplomatic level.

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 0
DISQUS: 0