Following the announcement of revised COVID-19 measures by the Prime Minister, Dr. Keith Rowley on Thursday, April 29, 2021, the Trinidad and Tobago Prison Service has advised that physical visits to the nation’s prisons are suspended with immediate effect, until further notice.
In a release, the prison service stated that persons who have scheduled visits via the appointment system are hereby advised that the visits will NOT be accommodated.
They said “It should be noted that the Virtual Visit facility and the phone systems are operational and are options to keep in contact with relatives and friends.”
In order to access the Virtual Visit facility, persons are required to contact the Welfare Department of the relevant station to schedule a visit.
You are reminded that you must have a valid email address in order to conduct the visit and receive guidelines about the visit.
Additionally, the Commissary System will continue to function for added convenience. This system allows relatives and friends to deposit funds into an account, which can be accessed by inmates through the Prison Canteen, as per procedure hereunder:
• Visit any branch of Republic Bank Limited to deposit funds
• Account Name: Trinidad and Tobago Prison Service Recreational, Sports and Cultural Club
• Account Number: 1802 6684 0001
• Inmate’s name, location, and classification should be written on the Transaction Receipt, and a picture of it forwarded via WhatsApp to 473-6576
• Online transfers to this account will also be facilitated, where a screenshot of the successful transaction must be sent to the said WhatsApp number.
The Trinidad and Tobago Prison Service said it continues to make all viable provisions possible to maintain contact with loved ones, whilst observing the precautionary measures as stipulated by the Ministry of Health, in order to maintain a safe, secure, and COVID-19 free environment.