Two year old baby girl dies after choking on ‘Chennette seed’

Home*Cover Story*Health

Two year old baby girl dies after choking on ‘Chennette seed’

A two year old baby girl died after suffocating when she choked on a chennette seed, which became logged in her throat. A Siparia village has been plunged into grief when two year old Raniah Lewis’ life was tragically cut short.  The baby’s life cound not be saved by doctors at the Siparia Health Facility . She died around 4.25 pm on Thursday. The child’s mother , Roletta Lewis, 35, and her father, Akeba Scipio, 36, were not at home at the time of the unfortunate incident.

Baby Raniah had been left in the care of her aunt, Amanda Ramadhar, 33, alongside eight other cousins, all of them under the age of ten. The family reported that one of little Raniah’s cousins,  got hold of a bunch of chennette and shared with her cousins including the baby girl.

The children’s uncle Keron Scipio was told by the children that the  baby was choking.  Keron attempted to dislodge the chinnette by tapping her on the back, turning her over, and even attempting chest compressions but nothing worked. He then put her in the car and drove to the hospital. I thought she would be in good care, he said. The doctors tried their best but they couldn’t save her. Her parents and family were inconsolable at the news of the child’s death.