TSTT apologises for the mishandling of info in ransomware attack at JSC

Home*Cover Story*Government

TSTT apologises for the mishandling of info in ransomware attack at JSC

Who misled the Minister of Public Utilities with regard to information concerning the ransomware attack at TSTT?

That was the question posed this morning at a JSC meeting into TSTT’s Handling of the Cybersecurity Breach.

Public Utilities Minister Marvin Gonzales on Friday unreservedly apologised to the House of Representatives for stating on November 1, 2023 that there was no compromise of customers’ personal data during the TSTT cyberattack on October 30, 2023.

In a personal explanation, Gonzales said the statement was made in good faith and on the basis of information provided by TSTT.

He said as the line Minister, he reported to the Parliament the contemporaneous information that he received in his official capacity and at no time did he set out to mislead this House or the people of Trinidad and Tobago.

Speaking this morning at the JSC CEO Telecommunications Services of Trinidad and Tobago Kent Western said that information would have come from the office of the then CEO who is no longer with the company.

TSTT was also asked to state why it took almost a month to explain to customers that there had been a ransomware attack.

Member of the Committee Wade Mark posed the question as he stated that as a customer, he like others would have continued to conduct transactions and share information unaware that there was a security breach.

He went on to note that customers would have been sharing their information for some three weeks to a month before they were eventually informed of the security breach.

In offering an explanation TSTT Manager Corporate, Environmental Social and Reputation management Khamal Georges admitted that the timeline was unacceptable.