President Donald Trump was expected to address the nation Wednesday morning, responding to an overnight attack in which Iran fired missiles at two airbases in Iraq that housed American troops.
‘All is well!’ Trump tweeted shortly after the missile attacks, adding, ‘So far, so good’ regarding casualties.'”
No injuries have been reported, but the areas are still being searched.
“As long as I am president of the United States, Iran will never be allowed to have nuclear weapons,” Trump said in his remarks, reinforcing his claim that no casualties were involved in the attack. Trump also announced a new set of sanctions against Iran to be enforced until “Iran changes its behaviour,” he said, adding that Iran appears to be “standing down” after its missile attack.
Iran said the missile hits were in retaliation for a U.S. operation that killed Revolutionary Guard Gen. Qassem Soleimani in a drone strike in Baghdad that stoked outrage and led to millions taking to the streets during his funeral.
“Iran has been the leading sponsor of terrorism and its pursuit of nuclear weapons threatens the civilized world,” Trump said. “We will never let that happen.”
Tensions have been rising steadily between the two countries since Trump took office in 2016 and notably after the U.S. withdrew from a nuclear pact deal that Iran signed with several under countries including the U.S., under President Barack Obama.
Trump said Soleimani was responsible for some of the world’s worst atrocities, including the planting of roadside bombs, the wounding of service members and the killing an American contractor. The death of the Iranian general “stopped that,” he said.
“If you value your own life, you will not threaten the lives of our people,” Trump said.
The U.S. is ready to embrace peace “with all who seek it,” Trump said, directing his remarks toward the Iranian people directly.