The United Nations has described the man’s death as “another senseless crime against migrants in the country”.
A statement from the Tripoli Interior Ministry said on Wednesday that the suspects had been arrested for the attack on the man, who has not been named.
It was revealed that the 3 Libyans on Tuesday stormed a factory where African migrants were working. The Libyans detained one of the workers, who was a Nigerian, poured petrol on him and set him on fire with no clear motive yet for the shocking crime.
The rights group says the coronavirus pandemic has exacerbated the abuse.
“Instead of being protected, they face a catalog of atrocious human rights violations and now unfairly for the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic for deeply racist and xenophobic reasons,” said Diana Eltahawy , deputy regional director of the group for the defense of rights for the environment. East and North Africa said in the report.
“Despite this, even in 2020 the EU and its Member States continue to implement policies trapping tens of thousands of men, women and children in a vicious cycle of abuse, showing senseless disregard for people’s lives and dignity. ”
In August, more than 45 migrants died in a shipwreck off the Libyan coast. More than 7,000 people on the perilous journey were returned to Libya in 2020, according to the United Nations Refugee Agency.
Thousands of them are believed to end up in detention centers in parts of Libya controlled by the internationally recognized government of Tripoli.
In 2017, a CNN crew saw a dozen men being sold at a slave auction in Libya, which opened an investigation into the slave markets.