St. Kitts and Nevis Prime Minister Dr Timothy Harris announced new regulations under the Emergency Powers Act that will allow businesses to operate for four days, as he reported that the twin-island federation was flattening the curve in its fight against the deadly COVID-19.
New regulations will be in place until May 9.
“On Monday and Tuesday, there will be limited operations, while on Wednesday there will be a 24-hour curfew, a total lockdown. On Thursday and Friday, businesses will again have limited operations before there is a 24-hour curfew…for the holiday weekend from Saturday, 2nd May to Tuesday morning, 5th May,” Harris said in an address to the nation Friday afternoon.
“From Tuesday 5th May to Friday 8th May, businesses will have four consecutive days of limited operations while there will be the nightly curfew before we enter the weekend of curfew.”
He said that as the government continues restrictions to maintain social distancing protocols to slow down the transmission of COVID-19 and help the country to cope with this pandemic, decisions pertaining to the relaxation of the restrictions were guided by the advice offered by medical experts.
The Prime Minister said that his government was cautiously optimistic and would begin to gradually get the country back to “a sense of near normalcy, while ensuring that, at all costs, we do not endanger anyone’s health”.
“We have restricted visitations to institutions, we have kept our schools closed and introduced preventative measures in workplaces. Our borders remain closed, and we have mitigated the risk of importing the virus from other countries,” he noted.
“Let me urge all our people to continue to do what is necessary to keep you and your family and your community safe. We must follow the health guidelines that all of us have been told to follow, over and over again…. Remember, this pandemic is a serious threat to our way of life. We must take all necessary precautions to reduce the risk to ourselves, our family, community and indeed our beloved country. We are in this fight together. And together in unity we shall triumph,” he concluded.
St Kitts and Nevis has reported 15 confirmed cases of COVID-19 from 260 tests carried out. Two people have so far recovered.