Four locals and two Venezuelans have been charged with the murder of Chinese National Xiangong Phang, during an invasion at the Happiness Grocery at the corner of the Eastern Main Road, and Sixth Avenue, Barataria, on Sunday August 23rd, 2020.
The six have also been charged with robbery with violence and burglary.
The decision to charge the suspects followed a meeting with Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Roger Gaspard SC and advice received last Friday.
They will appear before a Port-of-Spain Magistrate via Virtual hearing tomorrow, Tuesday September 1, 2020. The six are:
1. MALIK KYLE JACK, 21, of Pelican Extension, Morvant;
2. HUDSON “HUGO” PHILLIP (Venezuelan) 21, who lives in Morvant and
3. OSWALDO ANTON MARANO, (Venezuelan), 25, who lives Morvant and
4. LINDON WILLIAMS, 24, of 42 Village Council Street, Laventille;
5. KENNETH DABREO, 27, of 1A Delastro Lane, Belmont;
6. EMMANUEL PHILLIP, 28, of Pelican Extension, Morvant.
According to reports, around 3.45 am on Sunday 23rd August, 2020, several persons broke into the Happiness Grocery and proceeded to the upper floor where seven Chinese nationals lived. The intruders were armed with knives and cutlasses.
During the invasion, several persons were chopped and wounded. Members of the North-Eastern Division Task Force as well as other police officers, responded within minutes and held eight persons red-handed. Two of the suspects were released.
One of the injured persons, Xiangong Phang, was taken to the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex, Mount Hope, where he died. The others were treated and discharged. The intruders were handed over the Homicide Bureau of Investigations (HBI) where investigations were carried out.