The Mayor of Point Fortin, Saleema Thomas, has tested positive for Covid19.
Thomas also happens to be pregnant.
In an official statement to her social media page on Saturday, Thomas wrote:
There are reports currently circulating in the public domain pertaining to the status of my health, and I take this opportunity to put forward the facts:
• I am an expectant mother, due to give birth to my 3rd child later this year.
• Two days ago, I began exhibiting flu like symptoms.
• I immediately went into isolation at my home.
• On the advice of my doctors and out of an abundance of caution, I submitted to having a Covid-19 test.
• I have just received the results and the diagnosis was positive.
• I am working closely with the officials from the Ministry of Health to ensure that all of the necessary contact tracing and protocols are followed.
• It continues to be incumbent upon me to be responsible and to follow the health protocols, which require me to remain in quarantine until I am guided otherwise.
I am grateful to all those who took the time to contact me, and enquire after my health and well-being.
On this the occasion of the 41st anniversary of our beautiful Borough of Point Fortin, and as we seek to keep Point Fortin safe and strong, I implore all the Burgesses of this Borough – and the members of the wider national community – to please continue to follow Covid-19 health measures and protocols. Do wear your masks, wash your hands regularly, practice social and physical distancing, avoid gatherings, and do not venture outdoors unless it is absolutely required.