OAS rejects latest report from Guyana’s chief elections officer

OAS rejects latest report from Guyana’s chief elections officer

“It is past time that the current leaders of Guyana comply with their democratic responsibilities and allow the newly elected government to take its place.”
That’s the word of the Organisation of American States (OAS), which has rejected the latest report of Guyana’s chief elections officer.

The report gives the win in the disputed March 2 general election to the ruling coalition party A Partnership for National Unity (APNU) in spite of a national recount.

However, the report, the OAS said in statement, is acting in bad faith and contrary to the interest of democracy in Guyana.

“Let us be very clear – the only democratic solution for Guyana at this time is respect for the results of the national recount,” the OAS said.

“No other figures – neither those prepared prior to the recount, nor those recently invalidated by the Caribbean Court of Justice, nor any others that may be unilaterally devised by the Chief Elections Officer – can have any place in the final determination of results. A new electoral process is also an unacceptable solution,” it added.

“The OAS notes that the Chief Elections Officer of Guyana, in direct opposition to the instructions of the Chair of the Guyana Elections Commission, has submitted a final report which includes data compiled prior to the national recount; data which had already been deemed to be questionable,” the OAS said.

The regional body added that it will report the recent developments to the OAS Permanent Council in coming days.

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 0
DISQUS: 0