NAPSPA does not believe decision to close schools was warranted; gov’t should have reduced hours

NAPSPA does not believe decision to close schools was warranted; gov’t should have reduced hours

Not everyone is happy with government’s decision to scrap the preparation classes for the Secondary Entrance Assessment (SEA).

Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley on Wednesday announced the end of SEA preparation classes in light of the spike of Covid-19 cases. However, the exam date of August 20 remains.

TTUTA has expressed their joy and is now breathing a sigh of relief, but the National Primary School Principals’ Association (NAPSPA) does not believe the decision was warranted.

NAPSPA President Lance Mottley described the decision as “unfortunate”.

Mottley had suggested that instead of discontinuing the classes, the contact hours should have been reduced.

He said “We have been saying all along that we keep closing down our schools or closing down our country. We have to find a way to coexist with COVID because COVID is going to be with us for a very long time.”

In an interview with Guardian media Mottley maintained that “it was a small number of students who had been affected by COVID and regrettably so. But we have to take into consideration the larger population of students. There are 19,300 students in total who are expected to write the SEA. There are 476 schools. Between 10 to 12 schools have been closed – the majority of them out of an abundance of caution…the numbers in our opinion did not warrant the closure of schools.”

Despite this, he said the association understands the fears and concerns behind the decision and will provide the necessary support to get the students over the finish line.

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 0
DISQUS: 0