Venezuelan President, Nicolas Maduro, assured this Monday that the failed maritime raid that frustrated his government on Sunday had a “central objective” to kill him.
“The central objective (of the incursion) was to kill the President of Venezuela…Trying to kill me,” Maduro said during a telematic meeting of the Non-Aligned Movement (Mnoal), in which strategies were addressed to confront the new coronavirus.
President Maduro accused Colombia and the United States of the failed operation and reported the facts to the international community.
“We have the evidence that this group trained on Colombian territory, we have the places where they were trained, we have the evidence and it has been declared publicly,” Maduro continued, referring to the statements of a US military adviser, who asserted this night. Sunday having signed a contract with a sector of the Venezuelan opposition to organize the expedition.
“A terrorist attack in the middle of a pandemic, while our people rested, while our people are in quarantine, “added the president.
The Venezuelan government said on Sunday that it foiled a maritime invasion of mercenaries and ex-military personnel through the state of La Guaira (north, close to Caracas), which was seeking to end the Maduro Administration, in power since 2013.
During the operation, the president of the National Constituent Assembly, Diosdado Cabello, said on Sunday, 8 of the attackers died and two others were captured by Venezuelan forces.
One of them would have confessed to having worked for the United States Drug Control Administration (DEA), expelled from the country in 2005 and whom Venezuela accuses of drug trafficking, among other things, according to Cabello’s words.
So far, the alleged confession has not been made public and no further evidence has been provided.
For its part, the Venezuelan opposition grouped under the figure of the head of Parliament, Juan Guaido, who is recognized by 50 countries as interim president, distanced himself from the incursion while warning of a possible false positive.
Guaido himself denied on Monday, through a statement from his National Communications Center, having “any relationship” with the military contractor company SilverCorp, which he has said was linked to Sunday’s maritime attack.