Prime Minister Dr. Keith Rowley announced the following key points at today’s Health Media briefing.
Dr. Rowley announced that from midnight tonight, Monday May 3rd:
– All food service, including street food, will be discontinued.
– All non-essential retail business will be discontinued (further details on this will be announced on Tuesday May 2nd)
– The manufacturing sector remains open at this time.
– Essential services, such as groceries, pharmacies, financial services, transportation, farming, hardware stores, will remain open. However, restrictions in operating hours will apply (6am to 8pm where applicable).
– The social assistance system will continue (Senior Citizens Grant, Social Welfare and others)
– $5 million will be allocated for food support (boxes etc.) for this month.
– $10 million will be provided to religious groups to dispense to the needy in their communities this month.
The Prime Minister acknowledged there will be “losses to the quality of life” due to these new restrictions but he assured that “all has not fallen down” as the Government has gone beyond what many others around the world have done in providing support to its citizens.
He also said that he is optimistic that these new changes will be reflected in lower COVID-19 numbers at the end of the month, as it did back in 2020.