HDC Cites Faulty Electrical Fan As Reason For Fire At Clifton Hill Towers In POS

Home*Cover Story*News

HDC Cites Faulty Electrical Fan As Reason For Fire At Clifton Hill Towers In POS

A faulty electrical fan is given by the Housing Development Corporation  as the cause of the fire which occurred at Clifton Hill Towers in Port of Spain on Tuesday.

The Housing Development Corporation says it understands the fire started at approximately 7:30 a.m. on the top floor of Building Two.

It says the main occupant of the unit was at home when the fire occurred.

Residents were alerted to the fire and informed the Trinidad and Tobago Fire Service which arrived on the scene and extinguished the blaze.

The tenant suffered minor burns to his shoulder and back, and was taken to the Hospital to be treated for his injuries.

Damage was done to the furniture and appliances, and initial reports indicate the unit was partially destroyed.

The HDC will conduct checks to determine the extent of damage to the building, including water damage to the unit below.

HDC’s subsidiary, the Facilities Estate Management Company Limited will ensure the unit is remediated, following the TTFS’ report, and the resident will be referred to the Ministry of Social Development and Family Services for counselling.

The HDC awaits further information following an investigation by the TTFS adding it will continue to work to ensure the safety of its residents and prevent such an incident from recurring.