A fire at an apartment late at night on Wednesday has claimed the life of a sixty seven year old man and left his wife hospitalized.
The fire occurred at the couple’s third level HDC apartment in Chafford Court on Charlotte Street in Port of Spain.
Sometime before 11pm on Wednesday residents of building F in Chafford Court awoke to the smell of smoke coming from the apartment of sixty seven year old Edward Rondon and his wife Joan Gibson.
Fire tenders were called out and worked to extinguish the blaze.
However it was the woman’s grandson who lives next door who was able to pull her to safety.
Speaking to the media he recounted what transpired.
While his wife was taken for treatment at hospital, Mr Rondon did not make it out of the burning apartment alive.
And while the grandson has been praised for his heroic actions he told the media that he wish that he could have done more.