Family of 8 homeless after fire guts Maraval home

Home*Cover Story*News

Family of 8 homeless after fire guts Maraval home

A family of eight, including four children, have been left homeless after fire destroyed their Maraval home on Thursday.

Around 7.55 am, Donna Long was alerted to the fire by her daughter who said she smelt smoke.

Long said she saw a bedroom on fire and immediately evacuated the house on Moraldo Street.

Four adults and the family’s pet dog escaped unharmed. The four children, aged five, seven, 13, and 15, were not at home when the fire occurred.

Residents said they believe the incident was most likely caused by an electrical fire.

Long thanked the community for their swift support, noting that neighbours used all the water in their tanks to try and help put out the flames. She said this was a very selfless act, especially given the fact that the area does not have a steady or regular water supply.

Due to the actions of the residents and the quick response of the firemen, the flames were restricted to the Long family’s home and did not spread to other parts of the building, including the back, which is home to a family including a person who is confined to a wheelchair.