Epidemiologist, Karmesh L.D Sharma has issued a call for members of the public to limit house visits and adhere to COVID-19 guidelines as the country heads into Divali celebrations this weekend.
Speaking during today’s Ministry of Health media briefing, Dr Sharma said it is important to maintain social distancing and mask wearing, even when around friends and family.
He offered some safety tips for the nation during Divali celebrations, stating that citizens should decrease time shopping, especially in busy indoor centres and avoid shopping right before the festival as it will be the busiest time.
He said be vigilant with mask wearing, sanitizing and physical distancing when in public and interacting with people.
Other tips offered:
• Avoid large gatherings especially with persons outside of your household.
• Clean homes thoroughly before guests arrive and after they leave.
• Conduct Divali worship online and have virtual dinners with Pundits and extended family and friends.
• Deliver traditional sweets and foods to family and friends once proper hygiene and safety practices are observed in the food making and delivery process.
• Refrain from using alcohol based sanitizers before handling diyas and fireworks, wash hands with soap instead.