The Minister of Education, Dr. Nyan Gadsby-Dolly, Minister Morris-Julian and Ministers of Education from several countries- including Jamaica, Barbados, Antigua and Guyana- met with Dr. Wayne Wesley, Registrar of CXC to discuss the Report submitted by the Independent Review Team set up by CXC to review the queries of the CAPE/CSEC 2020 Examinations on Monday October 19th, 2020.
The meeting, spanning 3 hours, discussed in some detail the following recommendations for immediate implementation:
1. Extension of the deadline for queries beyond October 23rd 2020 to Nov 6th, 2020
2. Reduction in the Cost for Requests for Reviews (RFR) for 2020
3. Reversion to the Pre- January 2018 position and practice where a Review includes a remark, not simply a recalculation of the candidate’s score
4. Expediting of Requests for Reviews (RFR)
5. Abandonment of the CXC policy and practice of grade diminution.
It was unanimously proposed by the Ministers in attendance that in addition to all the other measures outlined, a total waiver of fees for reviews should be considered by CXC for 2020; as such, the Council will be approached by Wednesday, October 21st to consider the full implications of this.