Minister of Foreign and Caricom Affairs, Amery Browne, said “The Embassy of Venezuela in Port of Spain is fully informed and engaged in resolving the situation and addressing the immediate needs of their citizens.”
His comment comes as approximately 97 Venezuelan nationals were left stranded at the Piarco Airport on Thursday, after their Conviasa flight was refused permission to land, because the plane had been sanctioned by the United States.
Browne said “It is anticipated that suitable arrangements would be put in place in the near future to transport the prospective passengers via an aircraft that is not sanctioned.”
The Venezuelan Government had made a request of the Government of Trinidad and Tobago to facilitate their provision of a repatriation flight from Trinidad to Venezuela.
But, when details were provided of the aircraft that the Venezuelan Government was proposing to use to repatriate its nationals, the Ministry of National Security discovered that the aircraft was amongst those sanctioned by the US and as such, could not grant approval for the aircraft to come to TT.
The ministry said the request from Venezuela came in the “past week.”
However, Venezuelan nationals claim the ministry knew that it was a Conviasa flight all along.