Nine people, including four children are now seeking assistance, after a fire destroyed two homes in Harmony Hall, Gasparillo on Friday.
Georgiana De Verteuil, 49, said she and her family had lived in the wooden three-bedroom house at Hibiscus Lane for over 20 years.
She lived with five of her children — three adults and two minors, 13 and eight and two granddaughters – nine and three. Another adult son Mitchum Rawlins lived in an adjoining house at the front of the family’s home.
The four minors all attend the Gasparillo Government Primary School.
Reports state that shortly after 1am, De Verteuil’s daughter Merissa De Verteuil was awakened by the smell of smoke and then alerted everyone.
She told the media: “We did not get to save anything. The fire was at the entrance of the house. There is a back door, but it was nailed down and could not be opened. My brother’s (Rawlins) house was at the front next to the front room, so it caught quickly.”
The family suspects a curtain might have come in contact with a lit candle, as earlier in the night, they were experiencing electrical issues and decided to use candles as a precautionary measure.
Merissa’s eight-year-old daughter wore a cast on her right foot following an accident at school. She said the child had to crawl out of the burning house to safety as her crutches were destroyed in the fire.
None of the children have any uniforms or school supplies.
Anyone willing to help the family can call them at 387-3947.