There are Three Hundred and Thirty Nine (339) candidates contesting the December 2, 2019 Local Government Elections.
According to the Elections and Boundaries Commission, The People’s National Movement (PNM) and the United National Congress (UNC) are the only two political parties which have put forward a full slate of candidates.
In addition to the PNM and the UNC, the Congress of the People (COP), the Movement for Social Justice (MSJ), Movement for National Development (MND), the Port of Spain Peoples Movement (PPM) and the National Transformation Party (NTP) have advanced candidates in some of the electoral districts.
The PPM’s candidates are contesting the twelve electoral districts in the City of Port-of-Spain. The lone candidate for NTP is contesting the electoral district of Calvary, in the Borough of Arima.
There are eight (8) Independent Candidates in the 2019 Local Government Election race. These candidates are presenting themselves in the respective electoral districts:
– St. Ann’s River Central – City of Port-of-Spain
– Felicity/Endeavour – Borough of Chaguanas
– Sangre Grande South – Regional Corporation of Sangre Grande
– Valencia West – Regional Corporation of Sangre Grande
– Erin – Regional Corporation of Siparia
– Palo Seco – Regional Corporation of Siparia
– Blanchisseuse/ Santa Rosa – Regional Corporation of Tunapuna/Piarco
– Maracas/Santa Margarita – Regional Corporation of Tunapuna/Piarco
There are one hundred and thirty-nine electoral districts being contested in the 2019