2-year-old dies after choking on chenet seed

Home*Cover Story*Accident

2-year-old dies after choking on chenet seed

Police are investigating the tragic circumstances surrounding the death of a two-year-old girl.

According to reports, Renaya Lewis of Siparia was at her uncle’s home with other children on Thursday around 4.25 p.m. when it is alleged one of them gave her a chenet.

The toddler went into distress after the seed of the fruit became lodged in her throat.

The children alerted her uncle, 36, who responded and saw the toddler gasping for breath.

He took her to the Siparia Health Facility where the doctors removed the seed.

However attempts to resuscitate her failed and she was pronounced dead around 5.05 p.m.

Police are investigating her death.