18 former NBA players charged in $4M U.S health care scheme

18 former NBA players charged in $4M U.S health care scheme

Eighteen former NBA players have been charged with defrauding the league’s health and welfare benefit plan out of about $4 million, according to an indictment Thursday.

Federal prosecutors in the U.S planned a news conference to describe the case that was brought in Manhattan federal court. It wasn’t immediately clear whether all those charged had been arrested.

The list of former players included Jamario Moon, Glen Davis and Sebastian Telfair.

Prosecutors said Terrence Williams, the 11th overall pick in the 2009 NBA draft, orchestrated the plan and provided fake letters justifying medical services that weren’t performed. Williams received kickbacks totaling at least $230,000, according to an indictment made public in Manhattan federal court Thursday.

According to the indictment, the ex-players engaged in a widespread scheme to defraud the plan by submitting false and fraudulent claims to get reimbursed for medical and dental expenses that were never actually incurred.

The 18 players were among 19 individuals charged in the indictment. It said that the scheme was carried out from at least 2017 to 2020, when the plan received false claims totaling about $3.9 million. Of that, the defendants received about $2.5 million in fraudulent proceeds.

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 0
DISQUS: 0