12-year-old accused of sexually and physically assaulting other minors at Couva Children’s home

Home*Cover Story*News

12-year-old accused of sexually and physically assaulting other minors at Couva Children’s home

A 12-year-old boy, along with two of his victims, were recently removed from the Couva Children’s Home and Crisis Nursery.
Reports revealed that the 12-year-old boy has been terrorising and sexually and physically abusing several other children at the home over a period of years.

In a release dated May 17, the Board of the home said that on May 14, the Child Protection Unit of the TTPS removed three residents of the Home.

The Board said that given the fact that the situation involves minors who are wards of the state, it cannot disclose confidential information that may prejudice the outcome of any investigations, and that can negatively affect the minors connected to the matter.

“In February 2024, the Children’s Authority of Trinidad and Tobago (CATT) raised a matter with The Home which involved more than one resident.

“This revelation prompted an investigation, and immediate measures were implemented by The Home’s management in consultation with the authority. 

“On May 13, 2024, the board received its first communique from the manager outlining the matter which had been receiving the attention of CATT. On May 14, 2024 the board was informed by the chairman that the Child Protection Unit removed three of the residents connected to the matter.

“This action followed a report made to the police by the manager, who is responsible for the day-to-day operations of The Home and who reports to the board”.

It added emergency meetings were held on May 15 and May 16 to discuss the matter and to ensure first and foremost the immediate safety of all minors at the home.

 “The board has stated that due process must be followed as there are internal protocols for handling all matters at the Home and clear guidelines under the license to operate a Community Residence. 

The board added it is “very concerned about the recent developments given its concerted efforts over the years to establish a model children’s home, with an emphasis on safety, transparency and accountability.”

In a Guardian Media report, the manager of the Couva Children’s Home and Crisis Nursery Kerri-Ann Leon Sing, admitted that several children have been sexually and physically abused by the older resident over a six-year period.

Between 2018 and 2024, there were 25 incidents of sexually inappropriate behaviour by the alleged perpetrator against 11 children and even two dogs. 

There were also 113 reported incidents of misbehaviour against the child. 

The perpetrator was among the three removed from the home, along with two victims.

Leon Sing believed it was unfair to remove the two boys who made the accusations because it was as though they were being punished for speaking out.

She said she’s heartbroken because she does not know where any of them went.